Monday, February 20, 2012

Going Vintage: Salvaging the 70s

My audio project of assembling a vintage system had been stalled for a while now. A few years ago I started with a pair of 70s era KLH Model 17 speakers with a linen-like cloth grill and real wood veneer cabinet. I then picked up a 70s era Thorens TD-160 turntable. I had everything hooked up to an integrated amp bought new in the late 90s, which looked out of place. Recently I got extra motivated to complete the vintage system. I finally found a 70s era Marantz 2275 receiver with a walnut veneer cabinet to go with the turntable and speakers. And, whoa, she's a beauty!


Only if CD Players were made in the 60s and 70s. My California Audio Labs cd player looks plain-janey on top of the Marantz receiver. Grado SR-80 head-phones (shown on top) always had a retro look.


Swiss-made precision, the Thorens TD-160, spinning Detroit-made rock, Bob Seger's Night Moves.


KLH 17s designed by legendary speaker designer Henry Kloss before he sold the company to some foreign conglomerate that succeeded in equating the KLH brand to cheap plastic crapola.

The vintage system is set up in the bedroom. It sounds and looks fantastic. The total cost of this system is about how much I spent on the speaker wires for my main system!

No comments:

Post a Comment