Thursday, January 6, 2011

Recent Acquisitions: 1-6-11


A new year and new records!

Tegan and Sara, The Official Vinyl Collection (box set containing 5 of their albums plus an exclusive album of home recordings, WB/Sire, $85). Just call this my personal Lillith Fair.

Waylon Jennings, Are You Ready for the Country (RCA, tan label, original pressing, $2). Waylon looks real bad ass on the cover. I kind of had to get this at the same time as the Sara and Tegan box set to salvage my manhood at the cash register. It turned out the clerk, with a shaved head and black leather vest like the one Waylon's wearing on the album cover, who rang me up got all excited seeing the Sara and Tegan box set. I can't figure these kids out.

The Rolling Stones, Now! (London, boxed red label, mono pressing, $2). See above.

The Temptations, Psychedelic Shack (Gordy, original pressing, $4). The Temptations liberated from the Motown factory sound. More great early 70s R&B.

Duke Ellington, Duke's Big 4 (Pablo, white label promo, $2). I really enjoy Duke Ellington playing with a small group. Even if the group includes Joe Pass, who usually plays too many notes and annoys me. Where was Kenny Burrell for this date?


No comments:

Post a Comment