Monday, January 12, 2009

Record Collecting: Not Just for Middle-Aged Men Anymore?

The recent KUSF Rock ‘n’ Swap was well-attended. The number of people who weren’t middle-aged men was striking. I’ve noticed a growing number of young men attending recent record swaps. But yesterday I noticed for the first time kids with their mothers in tow and more women on their own than I’ve ever seen before. Instead of middle-aged men comprising 90% of the crowd, it was more like 70%.

Is it time to revise my theory about record-collecting fulfilling a primitive male instinct for hunting and gathering? Not just yet.

(The reason there’s no pic for this post: I was going to take some photos of the record swap, but after 3 hours of flipping through a million boxes of records, I just wanted to get the hell out of there. Besides, pasty-skinned record collectors are not attractive subjects for photos, unless you're Diane Arbus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment